Last week I posted some tealight holders for Halloween. The bases are actually the lids from some Tropicana Orange Juice bottles - a great way to recycle. If you missed this post you can find it HERE.
On the original tea lights, I used vellum rolled into a cylinder and embellished with punches and Creative Charms gems. These are fast and easy to make. I mentioned that you could design covers to cut on a machine and had several requests for files. I decided to make a file for the Cricut and one for the Silhouette.
For the Cricut file, I used a rectangle (from the George cartridge but you can substitute any rectangle) and the spiderweb from the Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge (this cartridge has lots of great extras on the feature keys).
I have used this spiderweb before for other projects and I set the size at 2 1/2 inches since this size had cut well in the past. The overlaps for welding are very tiny but they cut neatly. The base rectangle is 6 inches by 1 1/4 inches.
The overlap needed to make the six inch strip fit the juice lid holder is about 1/4 inch. I added some strong adhesive along the edge and rolled up the base.
Here is the spiderweb in the holder without a vellum liner. I don't really like the look of the plastic flame from the battery operated tea light. Of course it would be too dangerous to use an open flame candle, so I decided to use some vellum again to mask the plastic flame.
The vellum softens the effect of the flame and gives more of a glow to the light. I could have made the black collar a bit shorter but i wanted to be sure that there would be a good amount of overlap for the adhesive. If you prefer to have the black band hidden,you could start with a shorter rectangle.
For the Silhouette version, I used the spiderweb that is one of the free designs included with the Silhouette Studio software. I have cut incredibly tiny lines with my Silhouette SD so I tried a smaller size spiderweb for this design (about 1 1/2 inches tall). This spiderweb is not slanted so I could make more of a grid pattern with the webs.
These very thin webs cut beautifully. I used ordinary black cardstock that is usually sold quite inexpensively in packs of 25 or 50 at the big box craft stores. I set the Silhouette at "Medium Cardstock" but I left on the pink cap that is used for heavier cardstock instead of changing the cap to yellow.
Once again, I didn't care for the exposed look of the plastic "flame" so I added a vellum liner.
The vellum gives a more finished look to the candle. I found it easiest to simply roll the vellum a bit tighter than the spiderweb cut and slip it inside.
When I added the adhesive to the edge of the vellum rectangle, I left a little bit exposed and then I could push the loose ends of the webs against the adhesive to keep everything in place.
Here are the two lights side by side - the different styles of spiderwebs create a different effect for each light.
The light in the center is the first one that I made with a spiderweb strip from a Martha Stewart border punch. There are many more variations possible - so have fun experimenting with whatever tools and machines you have!
I have files to share for the two examples in this post. I made the Cricut file in Design Studio but saved it as a .gypsy file so you can use it with Design Studio or the Gypsy.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment or send me an email. If you download the files and use them, I'd love to see your web candles!
HERE) and remembered to take a photo of the finished pie - so easy to make and super delicious!
Subscribe to Capadia Designs