Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

By the time most of you will be reading this post, Mother's Day will be over. I hope you had a lovely day. Today I thought I'd show you a quick and easy way to make a card - it's all about the paper!

I chose a piece of 12 x 12 paper from this DCWV stack. There are often beautiful papers in these stacks that I know I will not end up using for a scrapbook page - so they become card ingredients!

Here is the full sheet of paper I chose. I wanted to use the glittery roses. I was making a large card - an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of cardstock folded in half - so I knew that the width would be five inches (allowing a 1/4 inch border all around). I cut the sheet of paper at a bit beyond five inches to be sure I wouldn't cut off the pale pink rosebud on the left of the cluster, then I trimmed the right side to be exactly five inches.

I used the same strategy for the top and bottom cuts, knowing that I needed to end up with an eight inch tall piece and adjusting the cut so the dark pink rosebud would be at the top of the paper. I also cut an 8 x 5 inch piece of the patterned area of the cardstock for the inside on the card. The photo above shows the remainder pieces after I made all the cuts.

I wanted to keep this card very simple and let the glittery paper do the work for me. I added the word "Mom" from the Beyond Birthdays cartridge cut in white glitter card stock.

Above is a close up view of the "Mom" on top of the largest rose (it is very pretty in real life but difficult to photograph effectively). When cutting glitter cardstock you need to use multi-cut of two or three to be sure that it will be cut cleanly.

For the inside of the card, I used the Martha Stewart cornice border punch to create a decorative edge. I worked from the center out on each side. The corners did not turn out with an attractive overlap - so I improvised and used some leafy fronds I had cut from the Storybook cartridge for another project - these covered the uneven corners very nicely.

The phrase "You're simply the best" is from the Wild Card Cartridge. I cut it from glitter cardstock and used Design Studio to adjust the shape to fit my card perfectly.

Even though I carefully saved the dot for the "i" and put adhesive on it - when I went to assemble the card it had disappeared. I ended up using my trick of dotting the "i" with a little gem (I am sure I'll find that dot stuck to something else soon!).

So there you have it - a quick and pretty card (and you even have a few bits of the original sheet of paper left over which you could use for another project or to decorate the envelope).

A note about the Design Studio classes - our first two classes are full - we are sorry if you weren't able to reserve a spot but we will be scheduling more classes and will post them soon. We will continue to have classes as long as there is interest and the dates and times will vary in the hopes that one of the sessions will work for everyone who wants to attend a class.

JenC and I are excited to welcome our first students to these introductory lessons and we will also schedule some classes on different topics based on the topics you are voting for in the poll on the "Let me Show you How to Do that" blog.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loses her "i-dots"! Good idea to use a bling!
    Hoep you had a happy Mother's Day!


Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from the people who read my blog. I moderate all comments to keep spam off the blog without making you decode the squiggly letters so your comment may not appear immediately.