Thursday, January 6, 2011
Using the "leftovers" again...
I was very excited last night to see that I have had more than 1,000,000 visits to my blog. There will definitely be some celebrating going on. I have some super gifts on the way and I think I will do a big "Third Blogoversary/Million Hits" celebration in a few weeks! My friend Enfys is about to have a celebration on her blog and I am guest designing next week, so it seems best to wait just a bit to do it up right. Thank you all for your kind comments and support.
I meant to post some more Martha Stewart cake cartridge projects today but it has been one of those days where nothing went smoothly. I am having more problems with 4shared and they have already consumed far too many of my creative hours. I'll be changing the way I share files as soon as I can find the time to re-upload the hundreds of files I have shared over the years. I have to try to laugh about the absurdity of the situation - when thinking people are not monitoring computer programs they can do really odd things!
In early September, I posted this card that I made with Design Studio and the Creative Memories Reminisce Accents cartridge. The original post is at this LINK.
When I lifted the design for the card there were small pieces left on my mat. I have a lot of mats that I rotate in use and I sat this one aside thinking I might use the pieces. I do this frequently when the pattern left on the mat is attractive and I don't want it to go to waste.
One of my all time favorites is this two-for-one design. The red card has a cut out design and the pink card was made using the bits that remained on the mat. You can read the full information about these two cards at THIS POST from last February.
The mat with these extra bits kept being moved aside and as I was trying to restore order in my craft space last week I finally decided to do something with them. Instead of using vinyl transfer tape as I usually do, I grabbed some blue painter's tape. This usually works pretty well, however, I found a new roll of tape in my husband's workshop and, it turns out, this type is a bit stickier than the kind I tried before. I burnished the tape to the pieces on the mat...
...and then peeled up the tape with all of the pieces attached.
I applied adhesive to all of the little pieces. I use Creative Memories Precision Point Adhesive for these tiny bits of paper.
I put the tape on a white card and burnished down the pieces. Then I peeled back the tape and saw something a little different than what I expected!
The cardstock I had originally used was Core'dinations and the tape was strong enough to pull apart the layers. To prevent this problem, I probably should have touched the tape to some fabric a few times to make it less sticky. It wasn't the look I had planned on, however, I decided I liked it well enough to use. It had a sort of antique feel (at least I convinced myself that it did!).
I used some more of the "peeloffs" that I used on the original card to outline the design. I added some definition to the "ribbon ends" by using the peeloff strips to form the "V" at the sides.
This is the card that I ended up with. It seemed a little dull and I decided more contrast was needed.
So I cut out the "ribbon" and placed it on a dark blue card base. So now that the pieces have finally been used I have another mat back in the rotation and a card to send a friend. (and yes, now I have to use the "leftover" piece from the white card after I cut off the ribbon - it never ends)!
Subscribe to Capadia Designs