It's Monday morning and time for another installment of "Martha on Monday" over on the Scrappy-Go-Lucky blog. This week I posted a quick tutorial showing how you can use the many borders on the Martha Stewart Cake Art cartridges to create perfect borders for your cards.
I love the Martha Stewart punches (and I have even more than I realized once I started the grand reorganizing of the craftroom!) but it is frustrating sometimes to realize that they don't always come out even on your card edge. With Design Studio or the Gypsy (and soon the Cricut CraftRoom!) you can get perfectly sized fancy edges on your cards quite easily.
If you pop over to THIS POST on the Scrappy-Go-Lucky blog you can see how easy it is to do this. In honor of the fantastic Imagine Giveaway that Mandy is hosting this month I made my sample card using some Imagine components. Be sure to check out the details of the giveaway HERE, make a flower and send it to Mandy and you could possibly win an Imagine!
For the card front, I chose these roses from the Imagine More Cards cartridge. I selected the layers option and eliminated all of the design except for the two rose cluster and the red rose layer.
I cut the card base with the open scallop border from a sheet of cardstock I printed with the second full sheet of paper in the handbook. The details about designing the card base are on the Scrappy-Go-Lucky blog.
I set the imagine to cut with no borders (changed the default from 4 to 0). It cut nearly perfectly but I decided to use some brown ink to cover any misses and to add depth to the roses. Here you can see the difference side by side.
After the pieces were inked, I added Stickles glitter glue to the flowers and the leaves.
I used Fruit Punch, Yellow and Star Dust on the roses and Lime Green on the leaves.
When I scored and folded the card base the edge was a little rough so I decided to add a ribbon to help finish off the top of the card.
I figured out the position for the roses and left them sitting on the card while I add the peel-off "Happy Birthday" sentiment.
Then I adhered the pair of roses directly to the card front. The red rose is not "Stickled" since it will have another layer on top.
For the top red rose layer I added some foam dots for dimension.
The slightly raised image adds a lot to the card.
This card looks more complicated than it is - but you do have to allow time for the Stickles to dry. I found that the flowers were curved after the Stickles dried so I put them under a heavy stack of books overnight to get a nice flat image.
I haven't used my Stickles much lately - I think they were perfect to give a finishing touch to the flowers which are the focal point of the card.
This was my first test cut of the bordered card. I usually use cardstock in the same weight that I am planning to use for my project but in designs that are not my favorites for my test cuts. I may find a way to make this into a card that I will post - the colors are a bit unusual but that is a challenge! I did not post a file for this card since I explained exactly how to create the file in the tutorial. If you are having trouble and need a link for the file I made, please leave a comment to let me know.
You can make the files for bordered cards and cut a small supply to have on hand when you need to make a quick card. If you have an Imagine, you can cut and print the images for the card front very quickly so be sure to get your entry in to the Scrappy-Go-Lucky contest.
Don't forget that there is something special happening on my blog this week - be sure to check in tomorrow to get all of the details
Subscribe to Capadia Designs