I made another card with my test cut of the gypsy file for this card. When I converted the file to a gypsy file and loaded it on my gypsy there was one "glitch" - the images for the opening in the liner did not stay welded. I am not cure why this would be but you should be sure to check the file in preview carefully before you cut. It won't ruin the card but you won't have the "extra" pieces to play with for another project. You may also need to change the mat size to suit your Cricut.
Here is the card base I cut with the Gypsy - looks just like the card from yesterday but it is blue this time!
The liner works perfectly - you do need to be sure to line it up to see which direction it fits best.
I decided to try something different in place of the tissue paper I used on the first card. Whenever I get a new Cricut cartridge, I carefully cut off the clamshell packaging and trim the flat pieces from the top and bottom. I have stacks of these (a result of too much cartridge shopping!).
I have been keeping up with the Tim Holtz "12 Tags of Christmas" so I was itching to get out some inks and play a little. (If you haven't been following this series you owe it to yourself to go HERE and take a look - fair warning, you may be on his site for hours!). I got out these three bottles of alcohol ink - sail boat blue and the silver and pearl mixatives.
I dotted the three inks on a felt pad on the wooden tool. Then I "sponged" the ink all over the piece of plastic packaging until I had the coverage and shimmer that I liked.
I had the two cut out pieces in white cardstock from the card liners so I also experimented with these.
On one I did a similar sponging effect and for the second I smoothed the ink to get a more solid effect.
I decided that the smooth effect was a bit boring so I got out the blending solution and added some to the felt pad.
I did some more dabbing and sponging and produced this effect. I was really just having fun trying things and would love to spend an entire afternoon just "messing around" with inks - maybe after the holidays!
Here are my two "extra" pieces, ready to use on another project. (I have an idea in mind and you will probably see these very soon...).
Back to the card...I trimmed the inked plastic to fit the card just like I trimmed the tissue paper for the other card.
Here you can see the light shining through the card before I added any embellishments.
The effect on the inside of the card is fairly dramatic.
I chose to put the inked side facing to the front of the card so the inside is very shiny. You can place the plastic whichever way you like - both sides are shiny but one is a smooth shiny and the othe is more textured from the ink.
I added some pearls to the front of the card - I just love blue and white together. I used gradient gem stickers in pearl from Creative Charms - they come with three sizes on the same sheet so it is easy to get this effect.
I had a question yesterday about the liner for the card - this photo shows the way it is attached a bit better. I only adhere the liner to the front of the card where it is sandwiching the tissue paper or plastic. By leaving the back part free the card will open and close easily.
So there you have it - another variation on the same card - and the files to share. Remember to check the Gypsy file before you cut it to be sure that the opening in the liner is welded so you will get the one piece cutout.
Pierced Ornament Card - .cut
Pierced Ornament Card - .gypsy
If you download the files I'd love to see your variations on the card.
I have been working on a few things - one is a new series for Scrappy-Go-Lucky that will be starting at the end of the week. My "evil twin" Okie and I are also busy with some ProMarker projects and you won't want to miss what we have to share!
Subscribe to Capadia Designs