While I was at my sister's in New Jersey on Thursday and Friday, I helped her decorate this clear plastic box full of musical toys for her grandsons (my great-nephews). We used the Hannah Montana cartridge for this project - it's not just for girls!
I set up some mats in Design Studio before I went to New Jersey, but I waited until I was with my sister to actually cut the vinyl. I put an extra base layer of the "ready to rock" on a second page to see how the colors would look when layered. It's great to have the smaller Cricut to take along for trips and little projects like this.
We used blue and yellow Wall-Pops vinyl. This photo shows the mat after "weeding" the cuts. The Wall-Pops vinyl is easy to work with and seems to hold up very well - I have had some on my car for well over a year.
To get the top layer adhered to the base as neatly as possible we used some transfer tape. I cut a piece of about the right size and burnished it down on the weeded cut.
Then my sister carefully peeled the transfer tape with the top layer of vinyl off the backing paper.
We aligned the layers and burnished the tape with the top layer to the base layer on the backing paper. We were the tiniest bit off at the right edge but we decided it was close enough!
We lifted the layered pieces and transferred the cut to one end of the plastic storage box, burnished the layered vinyl down to the box and peeled off the transfer tape.
Here you can see the final result. The label will show if the box is placed on the shelf like a shoebox.
I had also prepared a cut for the side of the box using the music feature. Remember, for this to work properly you simply move the letters together but do not apply kerning or check weld (click this LINK for an earlier post with a bit more about this feature).
The music staff cut out nicely - here is the weeded cut ready to transfer.
This time we didn't use transfer tape (which may or may not have been a good idea). By bending back the backing paper and starting on the left at the correct position to center the cut, we carefully pulled back the backing, adhering the cut as we went along (definitely a two person job).
This was tricky and the lines may have gotten a bit out of parallel but we decided not to worry about it - the little guys won't be too critical of our work! It is more difficult to put the vinyl on a three dimensional object like the box since there are some slight curves to the shape.
We used the rest of the notes and the "G" clef on the opposite end and side of the box.
I think the boys will have a lot of fun with all of the shakers and cymbals and tambourines inside the box - I hope their mother and father enjoy the concert!
The storm was a bit slower than predicted so we made it home safely - thanks for all the encouraging words! Now we just need our older son's flight to be on schedule tomorrow and then we will all be home for Christmas!